I Think You’ll Like This
My friend stood before me with outstretched hand holding a small gift book. You know the kind…small, hardback, pretty cover. I glanced at the title while thanking her…wondering why she was giving me a gift. It wasn’t my birthday.
Marilyn began telling me how much “The Life God Rewards” by Bruce Wilkinson had meant to her. To be honest, I’d never thought much about the topic. I’m not motivated to serve God because there’s a reward in it for me. Heaven has always seemed to be the reward. Being in Jesus’s presence – the reward. Seeing loved ones in heaven – the reward. Being free of sin – the reward.
The Book Went On My Nightstand
I placed the book on my nightstand intending to read it, but days passed. Something (SomeOne) kept nudging me to read it, tho. I knew it was an important read because Marilyn knows me well. She’s been in Bible study with me for years. She and I attend church together. We worship side by side most Sundays. Once again, I wondered why she gave me the book.
I began reading Marilyn’s book and was blessed by it. Jesus taught a lot about heavenly rewards. I encourage you to look into the topic. In addition, the Bible teaches a lot about earthly rewards. This morning the Lord drew me to Proverbs 3 and the earthly rewards we receive by following His wise instructions.
Following is the list of earthly rewards I recorded in the “Meditations, Notes, and Prayers” section of “Prayers of My Heart.” If you’re not using this section of your journal, I encourage you to begin. It’s a great place to write down what the Lord’s teaching you in your quiet time with Him. Here’s what I recorded from the section my Bible titled: The Rewards of Wisdom.
Proverbs 3: The Rewards of Wisdom
- 2 – Length of days and years of life; peace
- 4 – Favor and good repute in the sight of God and man
- 6 – Straight paths
- 8 – Healing to your body and refreshment to your bones
- 9 – Barns filled, vats overflowing
- 16 – Long life, riches and honor
- 17 – Pleasant ways, paths – peace
- 18 – Life, happy
- 22 – Life to your soul
- 23 – Secure walk
- 24 – Not be afraid, sweet sleep
- 25 – Not sudden fear when wicked onslaught comes
- 26 – Lord is/will be your confidence and keep your foot from being caught
- 32 – Lord will give grace to the afflicted
- 35 – Will inherit honor
WHO WOULDN’T WANT WISDOM’S EARTHLY REWARDS in the MIDST of Earthly AFFLICTIONS?
I love that Solomon, the author of most of Proverbs, didn’t present a list of unreal promises; such as we’d never get sick or have problems. To the contrary:
- He said the reward is healing, which means there are times of illness/injury.
- He mentions the reward of refreshment, which means there will be times of weariness.
- He mentions filled barns and overflowing vats, which means there will be times of emptiness.
- He mentions not being afraid and sweet sleep…instead of fear and troublesome sleep we’ve experienced.
- He mentions a “wicked onslaught,” but being warned and secure.
- He mentions grace to the afflicted, reminding us that there are times of affliction.
- And, He reminds us of the ultimate reward – inheriting heavenly honor.
What Do You Think? Join the conversation below.
- Do you think our society pays attention to or ignores the wisdom of the Bible?
- What rewards, or lack of, are you experiencing because of your obedience or disobedience to Biblical wisdom?
- I’m more convinced than ever that I need to Wise UP; in other words, study and follow Biblical wisdom. What about you? What Biblical wisdom do you need to follow?
Heavenly Father, thank You that we can Wise UP and experience the earthly rewards of living wisely.