Join Me in Reaching the Deaf
Did you know that*:
- the deaf community is the 3rd (sometimes considered the 4th) largest unreached people group with the Gospel of Christ?
- out of the approximately 6 million deaf people in North America, only 2 to 4 percent are Christians?
- less than 2% of the deaf around the world have an active relationship with Jesus?
*Information provided by Aid the Silent.
I have a particular interest in reaching out to the deaf. My niece, Cindy, is deaf. She has never heard one teeny sound. She’s not a candidate for Cochlear implants. Hearing aids don’t help.
If you’ve not been around a deaf person, you have no idea what a tremendous handicap it is. Cindy learned to read lips, but have you ever tried to watch TV when there was no sound? What if someone in a crowded room turns away as they’re talking? What about at a dinner table where the conversation, jokes, and discussion bounces from one person to the next?
Cindy learned to speak even without hearing a sound; which is amazing. But, communication is still a challenge.
When her mother, Linda, asked if we could have interpreters for the deaf at two of my conferences, I was thrilled to arrange it. Two ASL interpreters came and interpreted my P.R.A.Y. with Passion Conference and Listen UP! Conference.
Life isn’t always tied up in a pretty bow. It often comes with scars both on the inside and outside. Cindy and I grew up more like sisters than aunt/niece. As a child I remember children making fun of Cindy because she didn’t talk like they did. I remember the hurt in her eyes. I wish I could say the hurt stopped. But adults are often as or more cruel than kids. But we can do something to impact those, who like Cindy, have been hurt and isolated. We can offer them resources of joy and hope – of Christ.
- May 20, Aid the Silent is hosting a Good Vibrations Festival in San Antonio, Texas. My ministry will have a booth and hand out for free my ASL Interpreted P.R.A.Y. with Passion Conference DVDs and Listen UP with Your Heart Conference DVDs. We’ll also have Kidz Time coloring pages, Pray with Purpose coloring pages, salvation bracelets, and The Cross Upon the Rock. Come and volunteer at our booth. If you can’t volunteer, please consider a donation to cover the cost of the ASL Conference DVDs we’re handing out.
$25 – Covers the cost of getting 1 ASL interpreted DVD into a deaf person’s hands.
Please join me in reaching the deaf with the good news of Christ.
Additional Ways to Reach the Deaf:
- Give a P.R.A.Y. with Passion Conference DVD and Listen Up! Conference DVD to your church, city library, and deaf action center.
- Offer ASL interpretation during services.
- Offer live captioning of sermons during services.
- Offer bible study groups for deaf individuals.