Have you recently heard the word “fear” in relation to the pandemic, elections, fires, and even drinking water? Yes. The news, “Brain-eating amoeba in city’s water supply kills 6-year-old,” may have caught your attention when Texas Governor Abbott issued a disaster declaration in Brazoria County on September 27 after an amoeba that can cause a rare and deadly infection of the brain was discovered in the local water supply system. What more could happen in 2020, we may ask. Few would disagree with author/speaker Jonathan Chan’s statement that 2020 has been a year of America being shaken. Is our being shaken a bad thing? Or, might it be a wake up call? While some today discount the value of fear and associate it with not trusting God, the Bible explains the value of fear that is rightly placed. Is ours? For more on the kinds of fear and to consider which fear you have, read my column, “Are Christians to Fear or Not Fear?“
You who fear the LORD, trust in the LORD; He is their help and their shield. Psalm 115:11
Heavenly Father, our nation has been shaken. Shaken by fires, lawlessness, the murders of innocent ones, disease, floods, and more. We are looking to You, our Lord and Savior. Teach us how to walk through our days so that we point others to You.
Are Christians to Fear or Fear Not?
So that it is well with us and our children.
- ‘Oh that they had such a heart in them, that they would fear Meand keep all My commandmentsalways, that it may be well with them and with their sons forever! Deuteronomy 5:29.
To keep us from sinning.
- …the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin.” Exodus 20:20
For our good and survival.
- “So the LORD commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God for our good always and for our survival, as [it is] today. Deuteronomy 6:25
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do [His commandments;] His praise endures forever. Psalm 111:10
For God’s help and protection.
- You who fear the LORD, trust in the LORD; He is their help and their shield. Psalm 115:11
- He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He will also hear their cry and will save them. Psalm 145:19
- The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them. Psalm 34:7
A healthy fear of God keeps us from destructive sin and in close reliance on the Holy Spirit so we discern His voice and are empowered to walk in His ways.
WE ARE NOT TO FEAR MAN (Anxious concern)
- The LORD said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have given them into your hands; not one of them shall stand before you.” Joshua 10:8
- The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me? Psalm 118:6
- But Moses said to the people, “Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever. Exodus 14:13
- ‘Do not fear them, for the LORD your God is the one fighting for you.’ Deuteronomy 3:22
- But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. AND DO NOT FEAR THEIR INTIMIDATION, AND DO NOT BE TROUBLED, 1 Peter 3:14
- ‘Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life. Revelation 2:10
THE POSITIVE OUTCOMES OF FEARING GOD & NOT FEARING MAN
- going on in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it (the church) continued to increase. Acts 9:31
- Come and hear, all who fear God, And I will tell of what He has done for my soul. Psalm 66:16
Having a healthy fear of God that results in our walking by His Spirit provideS opportunities for us to tell others about Jesus. We will see people come to salvation and the church increase.
Do we have the right kind of fear?
‘Oh that they had such a heart in them, that they would fear Meand keep all My commandments always, that it may be well with them and with their sons forever! Deuteronomy 5:29