So that it is well with us and our children.
- ‘Oh that they had such a heart in them, that they would fear Me and keep all My commandments always, that it may be well with them and with their sons forever! Deuteronomy 5:29.
To keep us from sinning.
- …the fear of Him may remain with you, so that you may not sin.” Exodus 20:20
For our good and survival.
- “So the LORD commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the LORD our God for our good always and for our survival, as [it is] today. Deuteronomy 6:25
- The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do [His commandments;] His praise endures forever. Psalm 111:10
For God’s help and protection.
- You who fear the LORD, trust in the LORD; He is their help and their shield. Psalm 115:11
- He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He will also hear their cry and will save them. Psalm 145:19
- The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them. Psalm 34:7
In other words, having a healthy fear of God keeps us from destructive sin and in close reliance on the Holy Spirit so we discern His voice and are empowered to walk in His ways.
WE ARE NOT TO FEAR MAN
- The LORD said to Joshua, “Do not fear them, for I have given them into your hands; not one of them shall stand before you.” Joshua 10:8
- The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me? Psalm 118:6
- But Moses said to the people, “Do not fear! Stand by and see the salvation of the LORD which He will accomplish for you today; for the Egyptians whom you have seen today, you will never see them again forever. Exodus 14:13
- ‘Do not fear them, for the LORD your God is the one fighting for you.’ Deuteronomy 3:22
- But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. AND DO NOT FEAR THEIR INTIMIDATION, AND DO NOT BE TROUBLED, 1 Peter 3:14
- ‘Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life. Revelation 2:10
Do we have the right kind of fear?
‘Oh that they had such a heart in them, that they would fear Me and keep all My commandments always, that it may be well with them and with their sons forever! Deuteronomy 5:29
Heavenly Father, help us have the right kind of fear – reverence for You and Your Word. Thank You that we are in Your loving care and do not have to fear man. We love you and worship You, our Lord.